Dayton: Minn. won't extend insurance coverage

8:00 PM, Nov 18, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

ST. PAUL, Minn. - Gov. Mark Dayton says Minnesota will not allow people to keep existing insurance plans for another year despite President Barack Obama's plan to allow it.

Dayton announced his decision Monday in a letter to the Council of Health Plans, which represents Minnesota's largest insurance companies. Last week, Dayton said he believed Americans should be able to keep existing insurance plans under the federal overhaul.

The Council of Health Plans said in a letter to Dayton earlier Monday that Obama's extension would have created disruption and uncertainty in the state's new insurance marketplace.

Despite his earlier comments, Dayton says in Monday's letter that he realized the extension is not workable in Minnesota and admitted it would have caused confusion in the insurance marketplace.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Most Watched Videos