GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. -- Has it really been two months since my last (and only other) blog entry?
Well, then, let's get cracking. As you're about to see, I'm not straying too far from my previous subject.
Last time I was lamenting the fact that the local radio Christmas Super Stations weren't giving us a little more variety, and I suggested 11 songs that may have somehow eluded your Christmas Music radar.
Well, that was such a rousing success that management has come back and asked me to submit my top 11 Love songs of all-time, as a sort-of public-service gift to all of you for Valentine's day.
The 11 Greatest Love Songs of all-time? Easy, here they are:
11. "These Eyes" - The Guess Who
10. "Love Me Tender" - Elvis Presley
9. "You Are The Sunshine Of My Life" - Stevie Wonder
8. "You Are So Beautiful" - Joe Cocker
7. "Have I Told You Lately That I Love You?" - Van Morrison or Rod Stewart, your choice
6. "Unchained Melody" - The Righteous Brothers
5. "At Last" - Etta James
4. "Unforgettable" - Nat King and Natalie Cole
3. "Something" - The Beatles
2. "Let's Stay Together" - Al Green
1. "In Your Eyes" - Peter Gabriel (Hence the accompanying Lloyd Dobler Photo redux from the movie "Say Anything."
Only, it's not that easy, is it?
No, it never is, because that list leaves out:
11. "I'll Stand By You" - The Pretenders
10. "Never Tear Us Apart" - Inxs
9. "I'll Make Love To You" - Boyz II Men
8. "Close To You" - The Carpenter's
7. "Always" - Atlantic Starr
6. "I Got You Babe" - Sonny & Cher
5. "More Than This" - Roxy Music
4. "I Fall To Pieces" - Patsy Cline
3. "And I love Her" - The Beatles
2. "Can't Get Enough Of Your Love" - Barry White
1. "Let's Get It On" - Marvin Gaye
Now we're done?
Of course not.
The point is, music is personal, and never more so that on Valentine's Day.
So, here goes, pull back the curtain and let it all hang out!
These are my own personal Top 11 underrated Love Songs. Hope you find something in here that helps you ... in one way or another (Wink! Wink!)
Tim's Top 11 most underrated love songs:
11. "Day After Day" - Badfinger (Started with George Harrison producing, finished with Todd Rundgren)
10. "You Make Me Feel Brand New" - The Stylistics (One of three of their songs that could be here)
9. "Stay A While" - Journey (They left rock for ballads and for me, this was their best)
8. "When Will I See You Again?" - The Three Degrees (LONG TIME favorite, vocals second to none)
7. "Two Tickets To Paradise" - Eddie Money (A love song that ROCKS! Great message, better guitar)
6. "Long, Long Time" - Linda Ronstadt (Sappy? Sure. But Linda KILLS it! She's a lost treasure)
5. "I And Love and You" - The Avett Brothers (Welcome to the 21st Century, Timmy!)
4. "My Eyes Adored You" - ( From Frankie Valli to Lauryn Hill & all points in between, it always works)
3. "I Can't Tell You Why" - The Eagles (The "money" song for every high school dance in the late 70's)
2. "I Could Not Ask For More" - Edwin McCain (Anthemic, beautiful song wonderful message)
1. "It's Only Make Believe" - Robert Gordon (Poor Robert was born 20-years too late. A classic by Conway Twitty, Gordon sings it like nobody else before or since, sorry Clay Aiken!)
There you have it, my heart has been exposed, so please be kind!
Happy Valentine's day to all, and to all a good night!
(Copyright 2011 by KARE. All Rights Reserved.)