Couple strikes plea deal in starving of adopted child

5:54 AM, Oct 22, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

ST. PETER, Minn. - A Nicollet County couple offered guilty pleas Monday in connection with the alleged starving of a child they adopted.

County Attorney Michelle Zehnder says Mona Hauer entered an Alford plea to one count of felony neglect of a child, and her husband  Russell Hauer entered an Alford plea to one gross misdemeanor count of neglect of a child.

An Alford plea means the Hauers maintain they are innocent of the charges but agree that a jury could find them guilty based on evidence.

Sentencing for the couple will be November 26 in front of Nicollet County Judge Allison Krehbiel.

The Hauer's adopted son was 8 years old and weighed less than 35 pounds when his mother brought him to a hospital last October because she thought he had vomited blood.

Authorities said he was 3 feet, 5 inches tall, and about the weight of an average 4-year-old.

Earlier this year Nicollet County District Judge Todd Westphal terminated the couple's parental rights to the boy, but decided not to terminate their rights to their other three children.

 

(Copyright 2013 by KARE. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. )

Most Watched Videos