MINNEAPOLIS -- KARE Saturday is live at the Twin Cities Salvation Army's kick-off event for Rock the Red Kettle 2013.
An opening ceremony will be held at 8:30 a.m. at the Cub Foods in south Minneapolis where they will be jump-starting the kettle season by making a $15,000 donation!
Hundreds of volunteers will be at 56 Twin Cities metro area Cub Foods and at the Mall of America today from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. spreading good cheer and taking donations for the Salvation Army.
Hormel Foods is lending a helping hand this year to the Red Kettle by doubling every donation made during Rock the Red Kettle, up to $50,000.
Interested in becoming a bell ringer? Sign-up online at SalvationArmyNorth.org.
In honor of the kick-off event Cub Food's Chuck Lynch joined KARE in the kitchen to share some delicious crock-pot recipes.
Slow cooker pot-roast:
- 1 (2-3 pound) boneless chuck pot roast
- Salt & Pepper
- Garlic powder
- 1 pound baby carrots
- 1 large yellow onion, cut in 1/8th
- 1 (8 ounce) package sliced mushrooms
- 1 (12 ounce) jar Essential Everyday Home Style Beef Gravy
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can Essential Everyday Cream Of Mushroom Soup
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope Essential Everyday Onion Soup & Dip Mix
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- Simply season roast with garlic powder, salt and pepper; place ina slow cooker
- Add carrots, onions and mushrooms to the pot
- In medium bowl, mix the gravy, mushroom soup, soup mix and horseradish -then just pour over roast
- Cook on HIGH 4-6 hours or LOW 8-10 hours or until roast is fork tender
- Delicious - easy enough for a weekend, fancy enough for Sunday dinner!
Slow cooker buffalo chicken chili:
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts cuts into cubes
- 1 (1.25 ounce) package Essential Everyday Chili Seasoning Mix
- 2 (15 ounce) cans Essential Everyday Red Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can Essential Everyday Diced Tomatoes With Garlic & Onion
- 1/2 cup Essential Everyday Buffalo Wing Sauce
- 1/2 cup Essential Everyday Reduced Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup Essential Everyday Blue Cheese Dressing
- In your crock pot, combine chicken and chili seasoning - stir to coat chicken
- Add remaining ingredients - except dressing
- Cook on LOW 6-8 hours or HIGH 3-4 hours or until chicken is very tender
- Stir in dressing and serve
- Perfect for game day!
Slow cooker blueberry cinnamon French toast:
- 1 1/2 cups Essential Everyday Vanilla Almond milk
- 1/2 cup Essential Everyday Nonfat Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 cup 100% maple syrup
- 8 large eggs
- 1 (16 ounce) loaf chunky cinnamon bread , cubed
- 1 1/2 cups Essential Everyday Frozen Blueberries
- 1 (8 ounce) package Essential Everyday Cream Cheese
- In medium bowl, combine almond milk, plain greek yogurt, syrup and eggs; salt to taste. Whisk until well combined.
- Place half the bread in a 6-quart slow cooker
- Layer with half the blueberries, half the cream cheese and half the egg mixture
- Repeat layers.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight
- In the morning, just cook on LOW for 3-4 hours or until knife inserted in center comes out clean
- Perfect for breakfast and brunch during the holidays!
Loaded mashed potatoes in a slow cooker:
- 3 cups boiling water
- 2 cups Essential Everyday Half & Half
- 1 (12 ounce) container chive & onion potato topper
- 1 (8 ounce) package Essential Everyday Cream Cheese , cubed
- 1/4 cup Essential Everyday Butter , cubed
- 4 cups Essential Everyday Instant Mashed Potatoes
- 1/2 (16 ounce) package cooked and crumbled Essential Everyday Bacon
- 1 cup Essential Everyday Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese
- In your crock pot, combine boiling water, half & half, potato topper, cream cheese, butter and pepper; whisk until well combined
- Stir in potato flakes until just
- Cover and cook on LOW for 1 hour
- Stir in bacon and cheese
- Continue cooking for 30 minutes
- Delicious and easy side dish for holiday dinners
Slow cooker banana walnut oatmeal:
- 3 cups essential everyday original Almond milk, or soymilk
- 2 cups essential everyday old fashioned oats
- 2 ripe bananas, sliced
- ¼ cup essential everyday chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons essential everyday light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon essential everyday ground cinnamon
- In medium sized slow cooker, combine milk, oats, bananas, walnuts, sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- Cook on LOW for 1-2 hours, stirring occasionally, or until desired consistency.
- Stir in yogurt and serve.
(Copyright 2013 by KARE. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)