GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn.-- You may remember spending your Saturday mornings as a kid munching on 'Count Chocula', 'Franken Berry', or 'Boo Berry' cereals. The monsters are reuniting this fall with two classic favorites that haven't been seen in more than two decades: 'Frute Brute' and 'Yummy Mummy'.
Our Diana Pierce recently got a chance to learn more about this retro revival.
For more information about the cereals, click here.
Monsters Cereals Cookie Recipe
Created by Chef Travis Stanfield, Pig Ate My Pizza
2 cups Monsters Cereal of your choice (Count Chocula®, Franken Berry®, Boo Berry®, Fruity Yummy Mummy™ or Frute Brute™)
1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
3 Tablespoons milk powder
2 1/4 cup flour
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla
For the crumble:
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Place the cereal in a small bowl; crush into smaller pieces using your hand.
3. Add the butter and milk powder to the crushed cereal and mix together.
4. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread cereal mixture in a single layer on the baking sheet and bake at 350°F for 4 to 5 minutes.
5. Remove from oven and let cool.
For the dough:
1. Mix together the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Add in the butter, vanilla and eggs. Mix well.
For the cookies:
1. Fold prepared crumble into dough.
2. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough until 1/4-inch thick, then cut into circles approximately 3-inches in diameter.
3. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place dough circles on baking sheet, approximately 2-inches apart.
4. Bake at 350°F for 8 to 12 minutes.
(Copyright 2013 by KARE. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)