MINNEAPOLIS -- The Museum Adventure Pass program is a partnership between the metro public libraries (MELSA), Macy's, and many wonderful Twin Cities cultural organizations. The program started in 2006, this year will be the sixth and final year. The last day to take advantage of a Museum Adventure Pass with be September 3, 2012.
Nearly 1.3 million free admissions have been generously donated by participating cultural organizations during the past five years. Passes are available to check out at metro public libraries; they are available at no charge to anyone with a library card.
Each pass is good for two free admissions to the designated location. Passes are available on a first-come, first-served basis. More details about the program and the check out process are posted on MELSA's website.
Every time you check out a museum pass at a metro public library and visit your adventure destination, you are invited to e-mail photos and "Tell Us About Your Adventure" to be entered into a drawing for a free one-year membership (winners and memberships selected randomly) to one of the participating cultural destinations.
Either take a photo with your smartphone and e-mail it to firstname.lastname@example.org, including your narrative, or enter online. You don't need to include a photo to be entered into the drawing, but you do need to write about your adventure. Winners selected weekly.
Here are the donation figures for this year's roster of participants:
- American Swedish Institute- more than 50,000 since 2006
- Bakken Museum - more than 60,000 since 2006
- Como Park Zoo and Conservatory -- more than 100,000 since 2006
- Eloise Butler Wildflower Garden - more than 8,000 since 2008
- Foshay Tower and Observation Deck - more than 12,000 since 2010
- Hennepin History Museum - more than 13,000 since 2007
- The Landing (formerly Historic Murphy's Landing) - more than 30,000 since 2006
- Minneapolis Institute of Arts - more than 60,000 since 2006
- Minnesota History Center- more than 120,000 since 2006
- Minnesota Streetcar Museum- more than 4,500 since 2009
- Minnesota Transportation Museum - more than 14,000 since 2009
- Minnesota Zoo - more than 240,000 since 2006
- The Museum of Russian Art - more than 67,000 since 2006
- Walker Art Center - more than 88,000 since 2006
- Weisman Art Museum - more than 22,000 since 2006
- The Works - more than 45,000 since 2007
(Copyright 2011 by KARE. All rights reserved.)