Every business recycling program has two options for getting recyclables to a market: self-hauling or using a service provider.
Recycling Drop-Off Centers
For businesses that have amounts too small for a service provider to pick-up, consider self-hauling recyclables to a drop-off center. Consider the following factors:
- Is there a drop-off center nearby that takes the recyclables my business generates? (Find drop-off centers by location)
- Do you have the staff and equipment to collect and transport recyclables?
- Is it cost-effective for your business to self-haul recyclables?
Recycling Pick-Up Services
Most businesses prefer the convenience of having recyclables picked up. Many waste haulers provide this service in addition to their basic trash collection, check with yours. Comparison-shopping will help you find the most complete, reliable and cost-effective option. Questions to ask potential recycling service providers include:
- What materials do you collect?
- How should recyclables be sorted?
- Is there a minimum amount required for collection?
- Do you provide collection containers (desk paper trays, bins, barrels, dumpsters, outside storage containers, etc.)?
- How is the pick-up service scheduled (weekly, on-call, etc.)?
- Do you provide educational materials and recycling training?
- What are your payment terms?
- Do you require a contract for service?
- Have you worked with my type of business before?
- Do you have references?
For more information on establishing your business recycling program, visit our Business Recycling Guide.