MINNEAPOLIS - Amore Victoria has introduced a new organic rooftop garden this season.
When you're in the mood for a great meal, few things are more satisfying than hearty, homemade Italian. At Amore Victoria in Minneapolis owners Alex and Jenna Victoria are committed to using fresh, local ingredients, and have recently planted an organic vegetable garden on their already popular patio rooftop. It doesn't get more local than that!
The garden that is in it's first year included heirloom tomatoes, basil, rosemary, oregano, thyme, cucumbers, and peppers, among others. The fresh veggies will be used to create their beloved dishes The garden also adds to Amore Victoria's already beautiful and cozy rooftop patio, a romantic outdoor space perfect for enjoying warm summer evenings.
Here is a great recipe that you can use with your tomatoes...from Alex and Jenna:
Amore Victoria's Fresh Basil Pesto Recipe
- 1 large bunch of basil, leaves only, washed and dried
- 7 cloves of fresh garlic
- One cup raw pine nuts
- Roughly 3/4 cup Parmesan, loosely packed and FRESHLY GRATED (you can also use Romano)
- A few tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 handfuls of al dente cooked pasta or fresh pasta (ready and strained)
- Crushed Red Pepper
- Cracked Black Pepper
- Sea Salt
- 1 Lemon
- In a blender or food processor add one cup pine nuts, or walnuts when pine nuts aren't possible
- Add olive oil to just below the top of the nuts
- Add two handfuls of fresh basil leaves and 6 garlic cloves then blend [Remember that garlic and basil are an opinion, some like it more and some less]
- Have 2 handfuls of al dente cooked pasta or fresh pasta ready and strained
- In a hot sauté pan, add a table spoon of olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon of chopped garlic, touch of crushed red pepper, three table spoons of your fresh pesto, pinch of sea salt
- When the garlic starts browning, squeeze about 1/6th of a lemon and add pasta slowly while stirring or tossing in hot pesto and oil
- Add cracked black pepper
- Add parmesan as you toss and serve
- Add more parmesan to garnish and to flavor instead of salt
Amore Victoria is located at 1601 W. Lake Street in Minneapolis.