Mother thankful son is safe after abduction

10:07 AM, Feb 21, 2013   |    comments
  • Carlos Orozco
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

MINNEAPOLIS - An 8-month old boy is home safe with his mother after police say a woman took him from his home Wednesday.

Authorities issued an Amber Alert a few hours after the mother called police and that's where Guillermo Buenrostro and his 15-year-old daughter Daisy enter the story.

Buenrostro got an Amber Alert message on his cell phone around 3:30 p.m. Wednesday afternoon. It said police were looking for Isabell Diaz Castillo, a woman who may have taken Carlos Orozco.

Police said the woman was driving a red Kia, a vehicle that happened to be parked steps away from Buenrostro's house on the 3700 block of 3rd Avenue South.

Buenrostro spotted what he thought was the car. His daughter stepped outside to investigate.

"I was kind of freaking out inside because I couldn't believe that I actually found the car," Daisy said when she stepped back inside her home.

That's when her dad called 911. A short time later, police moved in and arrested the woman. They found the boy unharmed.

"It actually felt good. I never had that feeling before," said Buenrostro.

Police said the suspect tried to escape out the back of a duplex when confronted.

"The suspect bailed from the vehicle and ran into the house. The officers found the child in the basement of the home," said Minneapolis Police Chief Janee Harteau.

Not long after, came the image we don't often get to see, mom and her son reunited.

"He's 8-months old so he doesn't realize what a celebrity he is," said Harteau.

It was shortly before noon when police say little Carlos was in his car seat while his mother, Victoria Orozco was taking a shower in their home on the 2100 block of Portland Avenue South in Minneapolis.

When she stepped out of the shower and saw her son missing, she knew.

"My gut instinct told me it was her," she told KARE 11 while holding her son close Wednesday night.

Victoria said she met Castillo at a laundromat about a month ago, but always felt uneasy around her.

Police said Castillo was spending "inordinate" amount of time with the boy and although investigators wouldn't confirm, Orozco said the woman may have recently lost a child during birth.

"Generally these types of cases don't end happy and this one did," said Harteau.

"Thank God mine was a good ending," added Orozco.

Thanks to both police and a random father and his daughter.

"I was so relieved. I really just wanted to make sure that baby was safe," said Daisy.

"The detectives and the captain, really thank you for staying on top of this," added Orozco.

(Copyright 2013 by KARE. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Most Watched Videos