WASHINGTON - D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier says authorities believe there was only a lone gunman responsible for the Navy Yard shooting rampage that left 13 people dead.
Authorities had earlier said they were searching for a possible second suspect.
The FBI says the man accused in a shooting rampage at the Washington Navy Yard that left 3 people dead, including the shooter, who has been identified as Aaron Alexis.
Mayor Vincent Gray says the 12 shooting victims range in age from 46 to 73 years old.
Gray said at a news conference late Monday night that they are still notifying the families of about half of the 12 people who were killed.
The FBI says the gunman used a valid pass to get on to the Navy Yard.
The Navy says Alexis, 34, of Texas, was a full-time reservist from 2007 to 2011.
The Navy said in a release Monday that he left the Navy on Jan. 31, 2011, as a petty officer 3rd class. It's not immediately clear why he left.
The Associated Press said that he was currently a civilian contractor but authorities are investigating reports that he recently lost that job.
A friend in Ft. Worth recalls a recent phone call with Alexis where he sounded angry. "This company that he worked for was going to pay him and didn't pay him," says Michael Ritrovato. "He called me and told me that. Some kind of military contractor."
The FBI says it is releasing the name and photo of Alexis in hopes of gathering public information about him and where he was in the days prior to the shooting.
(Copyright 2013 by KARE and The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)