Worker talks about surviving building collapse

10:55 AM, Jun 5, 2007   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

One of the nine people injured last Friday when the third floor of a building under construction collapsed, spoke about his experience on Monday. Tim Stanton, a construction worker who plunged 35 feet before landing on his back on concrete Friday, walked out of the hospital Monday afternoon. Stanton says he can't believe his injuries were not worse. "I believe that God had his hand on that job site. I believe we all walked away with far less injuries than what we should have had. I feel real fortunate myself," Stanton told reporters at North Memorial hospital, right before he was discharged. Looking at him, sitting in front of the TV cameras, you couldn't tell he had fractured ribs and a bruised lung. When Stanton slowly walked out of the hospital to a waiting vehicle, you could definitely see he had been through a terrible ordeal. Nine construction workers were taken to North Memorial after a section of newly poured concrete collapsed at a Maple Grove construction site Friday morning. Five workers were treated and released by Friday night. Read the original report about Friday's accident. Stanton left Monday, and trauma surgeons say the three that remain in the hospital should be released in about a week. Stanton was pouring concrete when he was injured. He says he'll return to work as soon as he's able.

By Scott Seroka, KARE 11 News

(Copyright 2007 by KARE. All Rights Reserved.)

Most Watched Videos