Coon Rapids girl burned after setting dress on fire

1:07 PM, Feb 28, 2008   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

Authorities in Coon Rapids are investigating a fire that injured a 3-year-old girl. Jadea Oldenburg was burned over more than 50 percent of her body. There were second and third degree burns from her chin to her knees according to the firefighters who saw her. They were called to a Coon Rapids apartment building on Mississippi Boulevard Tuesday afternoon. Jadea Oldenburg was rushed to the burn unit at Hennepin County Medical Center. Firefighters say her dress caught fire, but it's not clear yet how. Authorities say Jadea was home with her mother. There were candles burning in the apartment. Firefighters also found a lighter and matches. "This was an easily preventable accident…If candles are lit, kids tell your mom and dad don't leave the room. Blow the candles out. Even if there are no kids in the house, pets can knock them down. Matches and lighters should be put away where no one can reach them but adults," says Chuck Fleury, Fire Prevention Specialist with the Coon Rapids Fire Department. Firefighters also say the apartment's smoke detector had been disconnected. As of Wednesday morning, Jadea Oldenburg was in critical condition at Hennepin County Medical Center.

By Trisha Volpe, KARE 11 News

(Copyright 2008 by KARE11. All Rights Reserved.)

Most Watched Videos