Franken to begin withdrawing some challenges

5:58 PM, Dec 1, 2008   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

ST. PAUL, Minn. -- As Minnesota's Senate recount nears an end, at least one campaign is ready to start voluntarily reducing the mountain of disputed ballots. Democrat Al Franken's attorney says the campaign will retract some challenges this week instead of asking the state Canvassing Board to decide them. Asked how many, Marc Elias would only say it will be "more than dozens." Republican incumbent Norm Coleman's campaign advisers have said they want to meet with the Franken team to jointly pull back challenges. A spokesman didn't immediately say whether Coleman would independently drop challenges of ballots with a clear vote. The campaigns have challenged about 4,700 ballots so far. Coleman held a 215-vote lead over Franken before the recount.

(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Most Watched Videos