BROOKLYN PARK, Minn. -- Three people are dead after grocery store shooting Friday night in Brooklyn Park.
Police said two employees, one of them 20-year-old Abigail Fedeli of Brooklyn Park, were shot to death around 8:30 p.m. while in the break room of Festival Foods, at 85th and Edinburgh Center Drive, just off of Highway 252.
Later, they said, the suspect turned the gun on himself.
A steady stream of customers drove up to the doors of Festival Foods Saturday morning but found them locked with signs that read, "Temporarily closed. Sorry for the inconvenience."
Customers like David Olsen of Brooklyn Park were just learning the details of the shooting. He said, "It's really unfortunate. There's too much of this going around."
Police were called Friday night after employees heard gun shots fired in the break room.
Customers Anthony Brandon and Tonya Lamont walked in just after the shots were fired but before police had arrived. Lamont said, "Everyone was just in shock, running back and forth. The employees were trying to get everyone out and trying to get everyone. But once we got out here there were a couple of them that were breaking down and crying and hugging each other. We could tell they were close to them or knew the victims."
When police arrived, they found two victims in the break room, Fedeli who had already died after being shot in the neck and an unidentified male who was taken to North Memorial hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Both victims were employees. The suspect was an employee too. Police also called the suspect an ex-acquaintance of Fedeli.
Deputy Chief Craig Enevoldsen said, "We learned very early on, we learned who we were looking for. With the use of some cell phone technology we got within several meters of where he was at."
Enevoldsen said officers found the suspect near the Washington Avenue Bridge in Minneapolis. He said, "When we came across him and attempted to approach him he took his own life by self-inflicted gunshot wound."
Tom Clasen, vice president of operations at Knowlan's Super Markets, Inc. which owns Festival Foods read a statement to the media on Saturday. It said, "Although we can't disclose personal information, we can tell you that all three people involved last night were long term current employees of Festival Foods. All three were in good standing with our company. As I'm sure you can imagine this only adds to our sorrow at this time."
Authorities have yet to release the names of the second victim and the suspect.
Enevoldsen said the suspect had no criminal history and there was no restraining order taken out on him.
Festival Foods is providing counseling to its employees today and will reopen the store Sunday at 8 a.m.
(Copyright 2011 by KARE. All Rights Reserved.)