GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. - Let's face it, everyone needs a liittle life and color to brighten things up during the long, dark, cold days of winter.
Fortunately, Bachmans' Susie Bachman has some great ideas for all of our green thumbs.
- Cut flowers
- Bubble bowl
- Use glass gem stones on bottom of bubble bowl.
- Insert a gerbera daisy stem on glass flower holders and float.
- Pussy Willow Vase
- Take a cylinder vase and cover the vase with pussy willow stems.
- Secure the pussy willow stems with rubber bands and hide with raffia or ribbon
- Arrange tulips and pussy willow stems in the vase.
- Wrap a piece of floral foam in waterproof ribbon and place in a cube vase.
- Insert one bunch of forsythia stems in the vase and top with pebbles.
Tree fern topiary
- Insert floral foam in a cube vase.
- Use two bunches of tree fern and place in topiary form in the foam.
- Trim the tree fern to desired shape.
- Add green trick dianthus and crespedia to the bottom of the cube vase.
- Terrariums and Fairy Gardens
- Miniature plants are a hot trend right now.
- Make your own terrarium or miniature garden.
- Anything goes. Just add blooming and green miniatures with a few pebbles for drainage.
Watch 'em Grow and bulb stock
- Bachman exclusive
- Began in the mid 80's.
- Bachman's uses regular bulbs and cools them in the planted state, so the viability of the bulb is better than using pre-cooled bulbs which tend to stretch
- Another great room brightener during winter - native to the tropical regions of the western hemisphere.
- Simple intriguing flower great for contemporary décor
- Easy to care for
- They like bright indirect light and keep the rosette of foliage full of water with distilled, rainwater, or snow melt.
- Starting from $24.99, featured $59.99
- Brings a small touch of spring indoors during the winter
- Bright indirect light, evenly moist, and cool
- Temporary indoor plant. Enjoy them while blooming and then discard. It is difficult to get them to re-bloom indoors.
- 4" - $4.99
- Awesome indoor plants that looks like a bouquet of flowers.
- The stiff bright green leaves serve as a beautiful backdrop to the vivid tight cluster of blooms.
- Bright indirect light, consistently moist, and cool temperatures
- Like the primrose, cineraria are a temporary plant
- Nice sweet fragrance
- A true sign of spring
- 4" $6.99
(Copyright 2013 by KARE. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)