GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. - Ready to shed the dread of winter? Head to the Spring Expo 2013, Friday-Sunday, March 8-10, at the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum.
A three-day event pass is $35 for Urb members and $45 for non-members. Another option is Friday-only pricing - free for Arboretum members and $12 for non-members.
Featured speaker on Saturday, March 9, will be author and Emmy-winning and former KARE-TV anchor Joan Steffend, speaking on her new book "Peace In Peace Out," about finding personal meaning, joy and peace in a busy, plugged-in world.
She is the author of two books and the co-founder of a nonprofit called "Peace Begins With Me." She will speak at 11:15 a.m. Saturday, March 9, and sign books immediately following her inspirational presentation. Here's more-
On Friday evening, March 8, from 5:30-8 p.m., attendees can enjoy the following topics and speakers:
- Designers from Seasonal Concepts, who will stage and discuss "fresh looks for bringing the outside in and the inside out."
- "How to Enter the Landscape" with Keith Wilcock (of Wilcock Gallery).
- "Seed Catalogs" with Renee Jensen of Andersen Horticultural Library
- "Fairy Gardens: the Magic of Miniatures" with Tonkadale Greenhouse.
- "Tips and Tricks for Great Nature Photographs" with the Arboretum Photographers Society.
- Arboretum Director Ed Schneider discussing the "State of the Arb" and sharing upcoming hopes, prospects and trends at the public garden.
On Saturday, March 9, topics/speakers include:
- "The Magic of the Japanese Garden" and "Top Picks for Hostas" with Arboretum gardener Mary Bigelow.
- "Peace In and Peace Out" with Joan Steffend.
- "Top Trends and Picks for Trees and Shrubs" with Arboretum arborist Jeffrey Johnson.
- "The Popularity of Espalier" with Kathryn Aby.
- "Top Picks for Lilies & More" with Arb gardener Paul Sotak.
- "Top Picks for Garden Color" with gardener Duane Otto.
On Sunday, March 10, the following popular authors will talk and sign their books (many of them from the University of Minnesota Press):
- 10:10 a.m.: Beth Dooley, "Minnesota's Bounty: The Farmers Market Cookbook."
- Jenny Breen, "Cooking Up the Good Life."
- Atina Diffley, "Turn Here Sweet Corn."
- Break for lunch, book sales & signings
- Brenda Langton, "The Spoonriver Cookbook."
- Richard Hass, "Growing Roses in Cold Climates."
- Welby Smith, "Native Orchids of Minnesota."
To register, call 952-443-1422 or visit the Arboretum
(Copyright 2013 by KARE. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)