GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. - The Irish Fair of Minnesota will be held Aug. 9-11 on St. Paul's Harriet Island.
The event is free, in fact, it is the largest free celebration of Irish culture and heritage in the Upper Midwest.
A kick-off fundraising party for the Irish Fair will be held the evening of Thursday in the Morrissey Pub Tent on Harriet Island.
Entertainment will be provided by Ireland's own sister quartet, The Screaming Orphans. Tickets are $20 in advance and $25 at the door. The event is a vital fundraiser that helps keep the Irish Fair of Minnesota free.
For more information, go to www.IrishFair.com.
Cara Irish Pubs Chicken Shots Yield:
2 lbs fresh Chicken Breast (boneless & skinless)
1 cup Buttermilk
1 cup Self Rising All Purpose Flour
1 cup diced Green Onions (for garnish)
Whiskey Honey Glaze:
8 oz Apple Cider Vinegar
2 ½ oz Irish Mist Liqueur
2 oz 2 Gingers Irish Whiskey
2 ½ oz Ketchup
1 oz Molasses
2 ½ oz Honey
½ cup Brown Sugar
2 tsp Kosher Salt
2/3 cup Hot Sauce
1/2 tsp Crushed Red Pepper
1/2 tsp Black Pepper, table grind
1. Combine ingredients for Whiskey Honey Glaze in a pot. Bring to a boil over high heat. Simmer until thickened (about 30 minutes).
2. Remove from the heat and cool.
3. Store covered at room temperature. Can be made in advance and held.
4. Dice chicken breast to 1" cubes.
5. Season to taste with Salt & Pepper.
6. Mix chicken with Buttermilk and let stand for 10 minutes.
7. Toss marinated chicken with flour and shake off any excess. Make sure chicken is completely coated in flour.
8. Put oil in a fryer or a pot with deep sides and a candy thermometer, then heat to 350 degrees.
9. Cook chicken until done, drain excess oil, lightly season with salt and pepper.
10. Toss cooked chicken with sauce.
11. Garnish with diced green onions.
From: Chef Jason Hicks - The Local, 901 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis.
(Copyright 2013 by KARE. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)