GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. -- The summer growing season is winding down, but that doesn't mean you have to put away your green thumb just yet.
There is plenty of time to enjoy fall colors in your planters. Susie Bachman from Bachman's joined us today with the scoop.
Here are some of her recommendations:
1. Add more good quality potting soil or replace
2. Use complementary plants that like similar conditions (cool temperatures and warm fall colors.
1. Thriller - a statement plant with height. This goes in the middle or back edge of the pot (Grass, perennials, silk stems)
2. Filler - round plants that fill up the middle tier of the container. These are mid-height busy plants. Different combinations of plants that fit this description can be used. (Peppers, Celosia, Kale)
3. Spiller -plants that soften the edge of the container. These can be flowering or green (Ivy, Lysmachia)
Plant by number
1. Our designers have come up with great combinations for container gardening.
2. Drew designs for them similar to the paint by number concept for kids.
3. Easy way to get stunning containers
4. Be creative!
1. Use mums for mass color
2. Last a long time
1. Replace tired summer hanging baskets with pansies
2. Tolerate the cold weather and give great color
(Copyright 2013 by KARE. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)