GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. -- One of the premiere red carpet events in the Twin Cities is about to get underway on Monday, September 23.
The 9th annual Iveys are unique among awards events in the country in that they are open to the public and that there are no nominees, set number of awards or pre-determined award categories, with the exception of the Lifetime Achievement and the Emerging Artists Awards.
The artists and organizations receiving special recognition are selected from evaluations completed by the general public and more than 150 volunteer theater evaluators who have seen more than 1000 performances in the Minneapolis-St. Paul metro area from September 2012-August 2013.
Creator and project director Scott Mayer joined KARE 11 News @ 4 to share more excitement about this year's awards.
WHAT'S NEW THIS YEAR?
- Randy Reyes, local Twin Cities actor and artistic director of Mu Performing Arts, joins Shanan Custer, as co-host of this year's ceremony.
- This year's Awards will pay special recognition to local professional playwrights and theaters that produce original work. Did you know there are more than 220 professional playwrights in the Twin Cities?
- This year's VIP Party is hosted by none other than hunky James Denton of Desperate Housewives-fame. He recently moved to the Twin Cities and has become part of the local theater scene. He's currently in Park Square Theatre's Good People.
- We are also adding an interactive element to our Red Carpet fashion component. Our runway judges will select six of the most creative dressers and the audience will have a chance to vote on their favorites using their smart phones.
CAN ANYONE ATTEND THE IVEYS?
Yes, the community is invited to this annual celebration of local professional theater. This is the chance to see and be seen...for audience members to mingle with those on the stage and those who create amazing productions at more than 76 professional theater companies in the Twin Cities.
BESIDES THE AWARDS CEREMONY, WHAT HAPPENS AT THE IVEYS?
We will feature:
• "Run, Freedom, Run" from Urinetown: The Musical by the Jungle Theater
• Excerpt from Clybourne Park by the Guthrie Theater
• Excerpt from Brahman/i: A One-Hijra Stand-Up Comedy Show by Mixed Blood Theatre
• "Fine" from Ordinary Days by Nautilus Music-Theater
• Medley from Stay Tuned by Yellow Tree Theatre
• Excerpt from Love and Marriage by Illusion Theater
For ticket information, head to the Ivey Awards.
(Copyright 2013 by KARE. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)