GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. -- Anyone who has bought a plane ticket recently knows first hand, fares are sky high. One way to beat paying those prices is to use frequent flier miles.
The Savvy Traveler Rudy Maxa joined us on KARE 11News@4 today to share his tips for maximizing those miles so you can get going more often.
Maximizing Frequent Flyer Miles
1. Charge everything on a credit card that awards miles or points
2. Remember all major airlines have partner airlines
3. Sign up at MileValue.com & ThePointsGuy.com for daily emails
4. Use ExpertFlyer.com to search for award seats
5. PointsHound.com awards thousands of miles for booking hotels.
Best Credit Cards Offering Bonus Miles/Points Now
1. Citi Hilton HHonors VISA Signature (40K miles, $1000 in 4 mos.)
2. Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (40K, $3000 in 3 mos.)
3. Barclay Arrival World MasterCard (40K, $1000 in 3 mos.)
4. Chase Ink for business (50K + 5X bonus by category)
5. Check CreditCards.com for list of options.
Saving Money on Hotels
1. HotelTonight app for same-day discounts
2. DealAngel.com shows average price of hotels so you can pick dates
3. Tingo.com alerts you if the price you paid falls before you check in.
4. GetARoom.com offers flash sales + discounted rates if you call.
1. VRBO (Vacation Rental By Owner) for homes/apartments worldwide
2. AirBn&B for vacation home and condo rentals
3. TimeandPlace.com for
4. Share a hotel room: Easynest.com
Join Rudy Maxa and MPR's Kerri Miller for "An Evening With" in Rochester at the Rochester Civic Theater Sunday night, Oct .13th. Tickets: www.RichesterCivicTheater.org
(Copyright 2013 by KARE. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. )