GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. - If holiday traditions in your family include buying a colorful plant, here are some time-saving and plant-saving tips from Susie Bachman of Bachman's.
For poinsettias, she offered the following tips:
- When selecting a plant look for lots of dark green foliage even down low on the plant
Choose a plant that already has lots of color
- The actual yellow flowers, located in the center of the colored bracts, should be small and bright
- Poinsettias prefer bright natural daylight, but not direct sunlight
- Water when dry to the touch and water thoroughly
Holiday cactus tips include:
- When selecting a Holiday cactus, the plants should have lots of buds and the flowers should be at various stages
- The "leaves" should be dark green and firm
The plant prefers bright light
Water when dry to the touch, but don't over water if kept in a cooler location
Tips for Amaryllis:
- Amaryllis prefers warm soil to get started. Use rich well-drained soil.
Keep the soil moist, but not soaking wet
Grow in bright indirect light
Remove flower stalks after the blooms fade
Norfolk pine tips include:
- These plants like cooler temperatures 50-60 degrees
- Norfolks prefer bright indirect light
- Keep the soil on the dry side, do not over-water
For more tips on plant care, head to Bachman's.
(Copyright 2013 by KARE. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)