Many state fair ribbon winners enter recipes contests a dozen times before winning anything, but that was not the case for Stacy Revard.
She won the first prize in the SPAM Championship at the Minnesota State Fair on her first try.
"SPAM Cordon Bleu Hawaii Kabobs"
- 1 (12 oz) can SPAM Less Sodium
- 1 pkg fresh peeled and cored pineapple (reserve 1/4 cup juice)
- 1 sweet onion, Maui onion works great
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 jar of pineapple preserves
- 2 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 Pinch of red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
- 5-6 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 1/2 cups rice
- 1/3 cup macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup parsley, chopped
Cut the pineapple and SPAM, both into 1 1/2-inch cubes. Dice the onion into comparable-sized pieces. Assemble kabobs by alternating SPAM, onion and pineapple. Coat with extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper, then grill on medium heat. For a glaze, heat the pineapple preserves in a small sauce pan on low with white wine vinegar, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper, to taste. Coat the kabobs with the glaze until kabobs are at three quarters of the way done, then melt slices of Swiss on top. Prepare rice according to package directions except substitute 1/4 cup of pineapple juice, reserved from the packaged pineapple in place of 1/4 cup water. When rice is finished cooking, add macadamia nuts and chopped parsley. Makes approximately 4 large kabobs.
(Copyright 2012 by KARE. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)