GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn.-If you think the growing season is over, think again. Susie Bachman of Bachman's Florals stopped by KARE 11 News @ 4 with some great ideas to prolong the season.
Here is what she suggests-
1. Use a peek-a-boo basket
2. Cut a block of Styrofoam to fit in the bottom of the basket
3. Place moss over the Styrofoam to camouflage
4. Add assorted fall stems to the foam
Susie uses four different types of stems to add interest.
She says to keep your stems taller in the back and shorter in the front. Cut a piece of burlap to use as ribbon and then
loop the burlap around the basket and tie it on the top.
1. Start with a wreath f rame and burlap deco mesh
2. Attach the deco mesh at the back of the wreath frame and twist the wire to attach.
3. Bunch up the deco mesh and attach to the next set of wires
4. Continue around the frame until you have used the entire roll of burlap deco mesh filling in holes the second time around.
5. Fluff out the deco mesh.
6. On the backside of the wreath frame lay small clusters of wheat sheaths across the frame.
7. Wire the wheat to the frame with separate wire
8. Continue to lay the wheat and attach to fill in the entire back
9. Cut the extra length of wheat
Fall Container Gardening
1. Add more good quality potting soil or replace it.
2. Use complementary plants that like similar conditions (cool temperatures and warm fall colors)
Susie says when looking to add plants, look for "Thrillers, Fillers, and Spillers."
1. Thriller - a statement plant with height. This goes in the middle or back edge of the pot (Grass, Silk stems)
2. Filler - round plants that fill up the middle tier of the container. These are mid-height busy plants. Different combinations of plants that fit this description can be used. (Peppers, Celosia, Kale)
3. Spiller -plants that soften the edge of the container. These can be flowering or green (Ivy, Calibrachoa)
For more ideas, head to Bachman's