Healthy recipes from Cooks of Crocus Hill.
Lettuce wraps with turkey filling recipe:
- 1 lb ground turkey or chicken
- 4 teaspoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoons rice mirin
- 1 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 heads Boston or leafy lettuce, rinsed and drained
- 1½ Tablespoons oil, divided
- 2 Tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoons hot chile paste, or to taste
- 2 bunches scallions, green parts, sliced
- 1 cup water chestnuts, chopped coarsely
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
Sauce: (mix together in small bowl and reserve)
- 3 Tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons rice mirin
- 4 teaspoons Chinese black vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup chicken stock, unsalted
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- ½ cup pine nuts, toasted until golden brown
Place ground turkey in a bowl, add the soy sauce, rice wine and sesame oil. Mix together with hands or a spoon.
Heat a heavy skillet or a wok, add 1 ½ teaspoons of the oil, and when hot but not smoking, add the ground turkey and stir-fry over medium-high heat, mashing and breaking it up. Cook until cooked through. Drain in a colander to remove the fat, and wipe out the pan.
Reheat the pan, add the remaining oil, and when very hot, add the ginger, garlic and chile paste. Stir-fry until fragrant, about 10 seconds, and add the scallion greens, water chestnuts and pepper, tossing the mixture over high heat for about 1 minute. Add the premixed sauce and stir, letting it thicken. Return the cooked meat to the pan and toss to coat with the sauce. Add the pine nuts, if using. Lightly flatten the lettuce leaves for serving, and place on a large platter. Scoop the mixture onto lettuce on the serving platter.
Better for you ranch dressing recipe:
- ½ cup non fat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, snipped
- 1 tablespoon of Italian parsley, minced
- Dash of Worchester sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Combine ingredients in a bowl and whisk well to combine. Taste for seasoning, adjust and store in sealed container in refrigerator for up to a week.
- 1 cup of chickpeas or garbanzo beans, rinsed
- 1 cup of cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 lemons, juiced (depending on taste)
- 3 Tablespoons tahini
- ½ teaspoon, cayenne pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, minced
Add chickpeas in blender or food processor and grind to a fine meal consistency. Add remaining ingredients except parsley and blend for 3-5 minutes on low until thoroughly mixed and smooth. Taste for seasoning and adjust to taste.
Place in serving bowl, top with parsley and serve with vegetables or pita wedges.
(Copyright 2013 by KARE. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. )