GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. -- Gary Feblowitz, founder of Exotic Wood Chips, joined KARE Saturday to share some exciting news and a scrumptious recipe.
Exotic Wood Chips is the only approved US importer of Jamaica sourced Pimento Wood, leaves, and charcoal. It is through the smoke and cooking technique that gives Jerk seasoned meats its unique flavor and you can find everything you need to achieve this through Exotic Wood Chips and Pimentowood.com.
For more information on Pimento Wood and Exotic Wood Chips visit their website or call 612-868-5375 (JERK).
Here is Gary's Authentic Jamaican Jerk Chicken recipe...
- 1/4 cup corn or peanut oil
- 1 cup of "Soya" sauce - or -- Caramelized soy sauce ( bring 1 cup of lite soy sauce to boil - add 2 tablespoons of sugar, Cook until dissolved.)
- 1 bunch of scallions or green onions
- 1 bunch of fresh thyme
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 4-8 Scotch Bonnet Peppers or substitute Habanera peppers. De-seed them
- 2 oz of vinegar - cane if you can find it, Cider or white vinegar works well
- ¼ cup minced Ginger
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 2 oz dark rum (optional)
- 1 hand full of Pimento Grains (Jamaican Allspice berries)- or about 4 tablespoons of freshly ground JAMIACAN allspice
- 1 tablespoon of paprika
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Teaspoon white pepper
- 2 Limes - cut in ½
Wash chicken and rub all over with lime halves.
Combine all ingredients (except limes) in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
Rub the blended Marinade under the skin, refrigerate overnight.
Cook with Pimento - Sticks, Chips and Leaves.
250-275 degrees 2.5-3 hours until juices run clear.
Use a meat thermometer to assure that meat is thoroughly cooked.
Follow "How To" Cooking with Pimento Wood instructions:
1. Marinate meat for 24 hours
2. Prepare your grill. Charcoal or gas will work just fine.
3. Soak Chips in water for at least 20 min.
4. Soak Leaves in water for 20 minutes
5. Soak Sticks in water for at least 20 min.
OFFSET COOKING- HEAT ON ONE SIDE - MEAT ON THE OTHER
MOST IMPORTANT STEP TO GOOD JERK GRILLING
6. Wrap Chips in foil
7. Poke small hole for smoke to escape
8. Place directly on coals or on Gas burner or you can use a smoker box
9. Make a bed of leaves on the cool side of the grill
10. Place sticks on top of leaves
11. Place meat on sticks
12. More leaves can be put in a pan of water over heat
13. Cook 275 for 2.5 to 3 hours - Let'er smoke
14. Baste with Red Stripe
15. Add another hand full of chips after 2 hours
16. Continue to cook until juices run clear.
165 to 180 degrees -be safe - use a meat thermometer!
For more marinade and rub recipes visit Pimentowood.com.
(Copyright 2013 by KARE. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)