MINNEAPOLIS - The Minneapolis Police Department says they are hoping to connect with the community during National Night Out events on Tuesday.
Minneapolis Police Chief Janeé Harteau has directed 82 teams of officers to fan out at all 1,450 block parties.
"National Night Out events in Minneapolis are second to none due to
the great work of our officers and community members throughout the
year," she said in a news release. "(Tuesday) we celebrate our
achievements together in creating a safer community."
The department is hoping to gather citizen's input on how the department can move forward. Harteau says she wants the department to take steps in building the public's trusts.
The department currently is conducting two separate internal investigations into five officers accused of using racial slurs.
Harteau plans to attend several events (times are estimates):
• North Commons Park 1801 James Avenue North at 6 p.m.
• North Loop /Downtown- 1 West River Parkway at 6:30 p.m.
• Oak Grove Woman's Club 410 Oak Grove at 7 p.m.
• Chute Park Square 45 University Ave S.E. at 7:30 p.m.
• Horn Towers 115 West 31st St at 8 p.m.
(Copyright 2013 by KARE. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. )