Manhunt for Wis. police officer comes to end

7:17 AM, Aug 7, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

BARRON COUNTY, Wis. - A two day manhunt for a Wisconsin law man turned fugitive came to a peaceful end Tuesday near Spooner, when Lt. Brad Young of Waupun surrendered to authorities.

Deputies did Lt. Young the favor of hooding his head, before they escorted him into the Burnett County Jail in Siren, where photojournalists were waiting with cameras.

"We still don't know why he did all of this," Barron County Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald told KARE earlier, while Young was still at large.

"He does have 20 years of law enforcement experience trying to catch bad guys. And now he's the bad guy."

Authorities said that Young allegedly carried out a series of burglaries in Green Lake County.

Investigators said he was still inside Walkers Kollerville Restaurant near Green Lake early Monday morning when they went to investigate a burglary there.

Young fled into a nearby corn field, but left his vehicle behind. He eluded local law enforcement and dropped out of sight.

But late Monday night Young was spotted speeding down US Highway 53 near Rice Lake, 200 miles away from the scene of the original pursuit. He was driving a stolen Toyota pickup, and led Barron County sheriff's deputies on 11-mile high speed chase, before losing control of the truck on a dead end country road.

"He hit some trees and fled on foot immediately after crashing," Sheriff Fitzgerald said.

"We knew it was going to be tough finding him. We had night vision, all we could have at our disposal last night and we were unable to find him."

By Tuesday afternoon officers from Barron County had been joined by deputies from Washington, Burnett and Douglas Counties, including a SWAT team. The Wisconsin Dept. of Criminal Investigation also had personnel on hand assisting in the search for Lt. Young.

The people who live in the rural area where Young disappeared Monday night weren't taking any chances after hearing the officer-turned-suspect was still at large, and possibly armed.

"We just hunkered down, stayed in the house," Robert Fenly of rural Rice Lake told KARE.

'We locked all the doors and made sure there were no keys in the vehicles"

Sheriff Fitzgerald and Burnett County Deputy Chief Scott Burns issued a joint statement to the media Tuesday evening, confirming that Young had been taken into custody without incident near Spooner.

One source told KARE that Young had called 9-1-1 and arranged a peaceful surrender. He was being held in the Burnett County Jail in Siren, pending filing of formal criminal charges in multiple jurisdictions.

(Copyright 2013 by KARE. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Most Watched Videos