Rochester airport back open after scare

9:44 PM, Mar 30, 2011   |    comments
  • Rochester airport back open after scare
  • Rochester airport back open after scare
  • Rochester airport back open after scare
  • Rochester airport back open after scare
    
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

ROCHESTER, Minn. -- The Rochester International Airport re-opened around 6:45 p.m. Wednesday. The airport had been shut down hours earlier because of the discovery of a suspicious package.

Assistant airport manager, Kurt Claussen, says TSA screeners found the suspicious device in a suitcase for an outbound flight around 4:30 p.m.

All commercial traffic in and out of Rochester was stopped.  Passengers on one flight had to be held on the tarmac.

A bomb squad from the Twin Cities was called in to inspect the device and left the scene around 6:45p.m.  Authorities have not released any details on the device, but they say it was not a bomb.

Claussen says he does not believe the public was in any danger, but that officials have to follow proper procedures to clear up the situation.

(Copyright 2011 by KARE. All Rights Reserved.)

Most Watched Videos