Man accused of ambushing, stabbing 2 officers in custody

3:40 PM, Aug 23, 2012   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

MINNEAPOLIS - The man who reported he was robbed Tuesday night near Minnehaha Creek and then ambushed and stabbed two Minneapolis Park Police officers is in custody.

Marsenior Johnson, 38, of Minneapolis was interviewed at HCMC, where he was treated after being shot by one of the two officers he confronted.

"He admitted that he'd made the fake 911 call with the intent to draw officers to him and harm them," Sgt. William Palmer, the Minneapolis Police Department spokesperson, told reporters.

"They know they are extremely fortunate, considering how it could have ended."

Johnson called 911 at about 11:30 p.m. and said he was robbed at knifepoint by three strangers, as he walked along West Minnehaha Parkway, according to a criminal complaint.

That roadway, which runs on either side of Minnehaha Creek, is controlled by the Minneapolis Parks Board. Two Park Police officers, a male and a female, were dispatched to the scene to check out the complaint.

They found Johnson standing near the south end of a foot bridge that crosses Minnehaha Creek near the intersection of the Parkway and Bryant Avenue South. As they approached the man, he turned on them, according to Sgt. Palmer.

Investigators say the suspect lunged at the male officer with the knife, but that officer's Kevlar armor vest stopped the blade. During the scuffle that ensued, the female officer struck her head on the pavement causing a deep laceration.

At some point, she also sustained a knife wound to her back, above her armor vest. The officer, whose name has not been released yet, was treated at HCMC throughout the night and released on Wednesday.

The male officer shot the suspect, inflicting wounds that were described as non-life-threatening.

Johnson faces two charges of attempted second-degree murder, according to the Hennepin County Attorney's Office.

Officer Katherine Hammes, who joined the department in 2007, was treated for her stab wound and a concussion. She is recovering at home. Officer James Huber has been with the department since 2001. Both are on paid administrative leave.

(Copyright 2012 by KARE. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. )

Most Watched Videos