MAPLE GROVE, Minn. -- More than a month after he died in a Minneapolis workplace shooting, a Maple Grove man is being remembered during a fundraiser benefit this weekend.
Jacob Beneke, 34, was among seven people killed last month when a gunman opened fire at Accent Signage Systems in Minneapolis. On Sunday, the Maple Grove Arts Center will host a spaghetti lunch and silent auction event -- the proceeds from which will benefit Beneke's wife and 6-year-old son.
"That's amazing that people care and get together and create art in memory of Jake," said Iliyana Beneke, Jacob's wife, on Saturday.
Iliyana told KARE 11 that she had a "bad feeling" when she returned home the evening of Sept. 27 and did not find Jacob there.
"I still feel like it's a dream, and it's hard to explain with a child," she said about the couple's son, Radomir.
Iliyana's sorrow is mirrored by the feelings of Jacob's mother, Deborah.
"It's just too early, in my opinion, for him to go," Deborah said on Saturday.
Both women say they've only begun their journey of healing. But they're grateful for a community that has already reached out in thoughtful support.
"It's just something that Jake would just be overwhelmed about, and I know if this would have happened to someone he knew, and one of his associates, he'd be right in there doing the same thing," Deborah said.
The fundraiser benefit runs from noon-3 p.m. at the Maple Grove Arts Center. The cost is $10 per adult, $5 per child and $25 per family. Donations can also be made to the Jacob Beneke Fund, C/O Wells Fargo, 13765 83rd Way, Maple Grove, MN 55369.
For more information about the Maple Grove Arts Center, just go to: www.maplegroveartscenter.org
(Copyright 2012 by KARE. All Rights Reserved.)